University of Utah Job Description
The audit supervisor leads audit work performed by the OCHE internal audit department. Audit work includes internal audits for OCHE and for other institutions within the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE). The incumbent will assist with OCHE and institution annual risk assessments, lead out on and conduct internal audits prioritized by the Board of Higher Education, and work collaboratively with OCHE and institution senior staff.
Skills and Knowledge:
· Understanding of auditing standards and principles.
· Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
· Ability to independently complete tasks with accuracy and in a timely manner.
· Excellent interpersonal skills that provide the ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with system and institution staff.
· Ability to accurately document audit evidence and persuasively write audit results.
· Ability to lead out on audits and supervise staff auditorsEducation:
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, public administration, economics, law, information systems, or related field is required (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience).
· Master’s degree in business, finance, accounting, public administration, economics, law, information systems or related field is preferred.
· Professional certification (CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE) is preferred
· At least 5 years of business experience working in internal audit, accounting, procurement, human resources, information technology, or related field is required.
· Professional experience in higher education is preferred.
· At least 5 years of experience working in internal audit is preferred.
· At least 2 years of supervisory experience is preferred.CORE CHARACTERISTICS
· Integrity – Ability to protect confidential information, loyal to co-workers and business partners. Works to prevent mistakes, and if mistakes are made, takes responsibility and acts quickly to correct it.
· Collaboration – Shares information and expertise, is willing to coach and to be coached. Puts personal agendas aside to achieve the larger goal.
· Self-Discipline – Consistently sets and achieves individual goals. Shows self-discipline by the way they conduct themselves.
· Reliability – Possesses the trait of reliability, they are dependable and trustworthy.
· Accuracy – Perform work accurately and thoroughly.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Performs duties as specified below:
· Participates in annual risk assessments for OCHE and other USHE institutions.
· Develops audit programs and conducts audit work as prioritized by the Board.
· Researches applicable measurement standards—including state statute, policy, and best practice—for each audit.
· Leads out and conducts audit work in conformance with the Institute of Internal Auditors, International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF).
· Develops and maintains relationships with institution administration and staff to obtain understanding of operations, processes, and functions.
· Follows up on external audits of OCHE and other USHE institutions.
· Assists in drafting reports to formally communicate audit results to stakeholders.
· Assists with regular internal controls training at USHE institutions.
· Maintains positive working relationship with the audit committee, system office staff, and institution staff.
· Assigns, reviews and supervises work of staff auditors.
OCHE has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and primary duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and OCHE reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as OCHE may deem appropriate.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2023 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH