University of Utah Job Description
Plans, develops, and executes a marketing program for books published by the University of Utah Press or distributed for our publishing partners, including: sales promotion, advertising, direct mail, exhibits, publicity, etc. to provide current information on new book releases and current publications.
Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts or related field or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience) plus three years previous experience in a similar position required. Extensive knowledge of the book marketing process is also required. Demonstrated communications skills and a commitment to providing excellent customer service is required. Management skills in dealing with budgets is essential. Knowledge of the Chicago Distribution Center Title Management System is preferred, though not required, and previous experience with a university press is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Working with the Press Director and other staff, establishes the budget, goals, and policies for the marketing and order–fulfillment operations. Working with the Press business manager, manages the daily and long-term marketing and sales operations.
2. Develops a marketing plan including sales promotion, advertising, etc. for all Press titles
3. Creates all advertising and promotional materials including space advertising, catalogs, brochures, sales letters, advanced promotional literature, etc. Maintains website and social networking accounts while working closely with production manager and other Press departments.
4. Selects review media and works with other Press departments to determine appropriate opportunities to exhibit Press titles. Represents Press at a number of exhibits and conferences across the country. Must be able to travel.
5. Projects sales of each title for the first three years of publication and projects net sales of entire list of titles each year.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2024 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH