University of Utah Job Description
This position directs the operations and strategic planning of staff management, customer/patient services, and financial management for assigned units of operations in supporting the goals and mission. The incumbent acts as a catalyst between departments, faculty, physicians and staff to ensure continuity and quality of service.
Licensure to practice as a Nurse Practitioner or as a Physician Assistant in the State of Utah. Six years of progressive management experience or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience).
Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department. Utah State prescriptive privileges may be preferred.
UHPPM 1-56 requires that newly hired non-physician providers apply for credentialing and privileging at the time of hire.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated vaccination requirements, or be approved for an exemption, prior to the first day of work. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Performs to required standards for job specific responsibilities and technical competencies.
2. Hiring, training, developing, and communicating with staff.
3. Responsible for developing, monitoring and achieving budget goals.
4. Manages labor and non-labor expenses to budget or flex budget.
5. Manages revenue to budget to maximize potential revenue.
6. Responsible for patient satisfaction scores within assigned area(s).
7. Responsible for upholding PROMISE standards of direct reports and team members.
8. Responsible to achieve quality goals for assigned area(s).
9. Manages and promotes continuous process improvements in assigned area(s
10. Responsible to provide staff feedback on performance, including on-time appraisals and coaching.
11. Responsible to deal with conflicts in a proactive manner and to reach resolution in a timely manner.
12. Forms positive relationships with staff, peers, and senior leadership to support the mission, vision, values, and performance standards of the organization.
13. Actively engages staff with updates and news as well as involving staff in decisions and work teams. Provides feedback and recognition when appropriate.
Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above. Demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communication skills. Ability to determine the appropriate staff mixes to support patient and customer needs. Knowledge of hospital business operations and demonstrated strategic planning skills. Knowledge of budgeting practices, reporting analysis and forecasting.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
This position involves intensive work that may exert up to 100 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving objects, such as medical equipment, or patients while providing medical care. Workers in this position may be exposed to infectious diseases and may be required to function around prisoners and behavioral health patients.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2024 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH