University of Utah Job Description
Spv, Clinic – CPOE Authorized
Manages the administrative and day-to-day activities of a patient care site to ensure the smooth functioning of all activities for the practice. This includes coordinating the workflow with medical/technical personnel as well as office staff.
Five years of business/office experience with at least two of the years in a supervisory capacity and in a medical setting, or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience); a knowledge of third party payers, billings and collections; demonstrated communication and organizational skills; and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required. CPT and ICD-10 coding and computer experience is highly preferred.
One of the following: Current Advanced EMT certification with the State of Utah; Current certification to practice as a Paramedic in the State of Utah; Current Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through AAMA; Current Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through AMT; Current Medical Assistant Certification through NCCT; Current Clinical Medical Assistant Certification through NHA; Credentialed for Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE).
Proficient in EHR order entry as demonstrated by knowledge in the following areas; anatomy and physiology, basic laboratory values, critical thinking, electronic health records, Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), medical terminology and pharmacology.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated vaccination requirements, or be approved for an exemption, prior to the first day of work. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Provides assistive care to patients. Facilitates the efficient delivery of patient care, supports the professional role of the licensed staff, and provides support and assistance as directed
2. Manages all clinic financial activities such as billing, reconciling patient receivables; working with clients regarding their accounts; collecting payments for services; and ordering clinic supplies. Selects and implements software to handle clinic accounts.
3. Structures clinic operations to meet the needs of physicians and patients; resolves problems that arise and establishes clinic goals and objectives.
4. Supervises the activities of clinic staff members by making hire/salary recommendations, training, assigning work and evaluating performance. Functions as a liaison with clinic medical/nursing staff.
5. Manages all aspects of maintaining patient records and generates reports to evaluate clinic effectiveness.
6. May maintain the clinic's administrative budget, produce monthly budget activity reports, and assist in determining budget projections.
7. Communicates with patients in order to resolve concerns and/or provide critical information concerning clinic procedures.
8. May develop proposals for patient medical services such as exam structures and fees. In some clinics, may negotiate contracts for these services with state agencies and private companies.
9. Ensures the smooth flow of clinic services by coordinating patient appointments, physician consultations, and tests conducted by other medical departments. Develops and implements internal procedures.
10. Ensures all patient and financial data is entered into the departmental computerized system.
11. Coordinates patient insurance matters: obtains pre-authorizations, confirms coverage, submits claims and resolves issues with insurance companies.
The incumbent works independently in the performance of most tasks and has authority to make hire/fire/salary recommendations. He/she is responsible to oversee most clinic support activities. The incumbent may be authorized to order clinic supplies and determine write-offs on accounts. In conjunction with the Business Officer, he/she may make recommendations regarding exam pricing and total care pricing and be authorized to develop patient contracts. The decision to raise fees for medical services would be referred to the supervisor. The incumbent may refer patients/clients to other appropriate facilities.
Some challenges the incumbent may encounter include determining the most effective procedure for collecting past-due accounts; managing the administrative details in a manner that optimizes efficiency and provides quality patient care; and responding to patient requests for medical services. Information and referrals often involve coordinating activities with many medical professionals and departments.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Seldom: Infectious disease, oils (there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, standing, sitting.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2023 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH