University of Utah Job Description
Supervises employees or processes by coordinating and overseeing work assignments in custodial and/or janitorial functions within a department. Ensures relevant policies, procedures and laws are implemented. Participates in the interview process as well as assesses, develops and provides training for new and existing employees. Supervises cleaning and maintenance of buildings / facilities.
Five years of experience in a related field, with two of those years working as a supervisor, or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience); knowledge of related trade or department specific equipment, systems and procedures. Demonstrated organizational, human relations and effective communication skills are also required. Some areas of assignment may require additional experience, specific licensures or registrations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Supervises employees or processes including prioritizing daily work activities, evaluating outcomes and recommending changes.
2. Provides staff management activities by assisting in the selection of employees, overseeing training functions, evaluating performance and initiating disciplinary action.
3. Prepares employee work schedules; approves time off, monitors and submits payroll.
4. Organizes and conducts staff meetings.
5. Maintains inventory of supplies and makes or recommends purchases.
6. Serves as a resource to identify, research and resolve problems and complaints.
7. Assists management with the development of the budget.
8. Researches related policies and procedures and assists in implementing the findings.
9. Generates and compiles reports; updates financial records.
Supervisors need to be proactive in responding or providing guidance when problems arise. Staffing and scheduling conflicts must be resolved in order to meet department goals and needs. This position has the authority to determine appropriate training needs and initiate disciplinary action. The ability to orchestrate multiple tasks simultaneously is essential.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2024 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH