University of Utah Job Description
Develops and implements policies, programs and financial objectives for assigned departments in relation to retail, customer service or hospitality functions, including (but not limited to) events, procurement, food and beverage, hospitality, retail services, and general customer service. Participates in preparing department budgets and in setting department goals. Ensures continuity and quality customer service between University departments and community.
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, a related area, or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience) required; plus six years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communication skills also required. Master’s degree in Business Administration or related area preferred.
This position is not responsible for providing patient care.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Develops and implements customer service, staffing and financial objectives for assigned departments consistent with the University’s goals and objectives.
2. Manages departments’ budgets, estimates budgetary requirements for special projects and oversees purchases and inventory.
3. Implements and administers new and existing department programs and services to internal and external customers. Evaluates program effectiveness. May carry out and implement logistic plans and procedures to ensure that internal university and external entities’ needs are met.
4. Assumes authority and performs functions of the department director in his/her absence.
5. Participates in the development and interpretation of department polices to ensure compliance with the University’s policies and regulatory requirements. May authorize exceptions to department policy and procedures related to assigned departments. Ensures compliance with Federal and state regulations.
6. Establishes internal objectives and implements procedures to meet goals. Assists in setting department short and long-term goals.
7. Oversees department staff management including recruitment, performance evaluations and retention of staff.
8. Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing customer complaints, concerns and suggestions. Provides appropriate follow through to ensure quality customer service.
9. Facilitates cooperative and collaborative relationships with the community and other institutions.
10. Authorizes the purchase and implementation of new technology, resources and equipment.
11. Serves as part of the department management team.
The problems and solutions encountered by this position vary depending on the area and structure of the department. This position frequently addresses problematic situations and often acts a mediator or a negotiator. A major task for this position is to understand the needs of the customers and determine what products and services should be provided to meet those needs.
The incumbent must be proficient in making daily operational decisions in assigned area to ensure compliance of current regulations and guidelines.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2023 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH