University of Utah Job Description
Provides foreign language translation of University Health Care documents; coordinates translation process to inform patients about important issues and processes that are designated by the attending physician; and, supervises staff and, students who perform basic oral translation for patients during their stay at University Hospital.
Bachelors degree in Translation, Foreign Language, related field or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience) and demonstrated human relation and effective written and oral communication skills required. Must demonstrate the ability to accurately translate written materials from source to target language. Native-like proficiency in target language. Preference for candidates that have obtained ATA certification and have experience translating in the medical field.
Department may require knowledge of medical terminology.
This position has no responsibility for providing care to patients.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Translates written educational materials ensuring document is translated faithfully into the source language.
2. Investigates and researches medical and technical terminology in both source and target language to ensure understanding and accurate translations.
3. Translates documents with using generalized target language to ensure understanding.
4. Manages the translation process of each requested document.
5. Mentors and teaches others in department to improve translation skills.
6. Assists the office in coordinating interpreting sessions and general office duties.
7. Interprets communication between the staff or faculty and the non-English speaking population.
Challenges include accurately translating information in an unbiased, clear and concise manner with patients, families, healthcare staff and physicians to read. Incumbent must work independently/in a team in an efficient, productive manner maintaining composure and sensitivity in accordance with the environment of health care services.
250 East 200 South, Suite 125,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801.581.2169 Email: AskHR@utah.edu
© 2024 THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH