- Basic Coverage
- Elective Coverage
- Beneficiary Designations
- How To Enroll
Group Life Insurance is offered through The Hartford. All coverage through the University previously insured through Beneficial Financial Group has been transferred to The Hartford effective May 1, 2007.
- If you are in a benefit-eligible position, the University will automatically enroll you in Part I of the Group Term Life Insurance in an amount equal to your annual salary up to a maximum of $25,000.
- Travel assistance is included in this policy and is provided through Europe Assistance USA, Inc. (formerly known as Worldwide Assistance). You must contact Europ Assistance USA prior to receiving services. Review the Travel Assistance and Identity Theft Protection Services Brochure for information (the University's Policy Number is 220015.) Spanish Version
- Estate Guidance - Helps you create a simple, legally binding will.
- Beneficiary Assist - Provides you, your eligible beneficiaries and immediate family with access to help related to the death of a loved one.
- Funeral Planning and Concierge Services - Resources to help you make confident, informed decisions about funeral planning.
- This coverage is provided at no cost to you.
- Life insurance on your own life in an amount equal to Part I.
- Life insurance on your spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 26 in the amount of $2,000 each.
- You must enroll in Part II in order to enroll in Part III.
- Life insurance coverage on your own life in a minimum coverage amount of $20,000 and maximum coverage amount of $500,000 (or 5 times your annual salary up to $750,000).
- Life insurance coverage on your spouse up to a maximum of $250,000.**
- Life insurance on your dependent children in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000.**
- Premiums for employee and spouse supplemental term coverage are based on age and tobacco use. See the Description of Life Insurance Benefits
*If you enroll during your Initial Enrollment Period (the first 90 days following the date you are hired into a benefit-eligible position), you may enroll in Parts, II and III without providing Evidence of Insurability, and Supplemental Term on your own life in an amount up to $350,000 without providing Evidence of Insurability.
**You can only enroll in Supplemental Term coverage on your spouse and dependent children if you enroll or apply to enroll in Supplemental Term coverage on your own life. Evidence of Insurability is always required for coverage on your spouse and dependent child(ren).
- You should select at least one primary beneficiary and at least one contingent beneficiary in case the primary beneficiary(ies) are not living at the time of your death.
- You are automatically the primary beneficiary of life insurance on your spouse and dependent children.
- You may change your beneficiaries at any time by:
HOW TO ENROLL
If you are an employee in a benefit-eligible position, you may enroll in group life insurance by completing an enrollment form and submitting it, with Evidence of Insurability (if required), to the Benefits Department. Evidence of Insurability is not required for insurance on your own life if you enroll during your Initial Enrollment Period (first 90 days after the date you are hired into a benefit-eligible position). Evidence of Insurability is always required for insurance on your spouse and/or dependent(s). Additional paperwork may be required by the insurance carrier. If you do not enroll in Parts II, III, or Dependent Child Supplemental Term during your Initial Enrollment Period, you may enroll after you experience a status change event (e.g. marriage or birth or adoption of a child.)
To enroll in Supplemental Term Life on your own life during your Initial Enrollment Period, use the enrollment form you receive through new employee orientation. To enroll in Supplemental Term Life on your spouse or after your Initial Enrollment Period, use the Life Insurance - Supplemental Term Enrollment Form.
Contact the Benefits Department for additional information.